Tuesday, May 20, 2014

To be independent or not?

On September 18, 2014, Scotland will vote on a referendum which will determine whether or not it will separate from the United Kingdom.  What will this mean for Scottish citizens?  Scottish citizens have much to consider before casting their vote - http://www.scotreferendum.com/questions-and-answers/.
For my seventh graders, this is a very difficult concept to comprehend.  However, a decision for independence would certainly change how we study the history and geography of the United Kingdom.  I find that my subject is always changing and it concerns me when my subject is seen as less important to other content areas.  Although our curriculum focuses on ancient and early modern world history, this history affects the here and now.  My students have daily opportunities to make connections.  For many of my students, it is as simple as creating a more meaningful world view.  Without a better understanding of the people and the world around us, any learning in another subject area becomes stagnate.  Giving my students the knowledge and understanding that we are apart of a global society, is the best gift of independence that I can give any child.

After Social Studies class I found the question why is the queen’s face on Canada’s currency very interesting. I found out that Canada was once part of the British Empire therefore the queen was on their currency. Canada holds a parliamentary democracy, a constitutional monarchy and a federation. Queen Elizabeth is the sovereign of the parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy of Canada. All ministers, legislative, members of armed forces and police officers swear allegiance to the queen. The queen appoints a governor general. The queen makes an effort to keep up to date on parliamentary matters. She also partakes in various ceremonies and traditions in Canada. Given her title, it is only natural that she is presented on the Canadian currency. She can be seen on Canadian coins as well as the 20 dollar bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment